Accessibility statement for the Oxford Martin Programme on Integrating Renewable Energy (Integrate)
This accessibility statement applies to the Integrate website: https://www.renewableenergy.ox.ac.uk/.
This website is run by The Oxford Martin School, University of Oxford. We want as many people as possible to be able to use this website. For example, that means you should be able to:
- change colours, contrast levels and fonts
- zoom in up to 300% without the text spilling off the screen
- navigate most of the website using just a keyboard
- navigate most of the website using speech recognition software
- listen to most of the website using a screen reader (including the most recent versions of JAWS, NVDA and VoiceOver)
We’ve also made the website text as simple as possible to understand.
AbilityNet has advice on making your device easier to use if you have a disability.
How accessible this website is
We know some parts of this website are not fully accessible:
- most older PDF documents are not fully accessible to screen reader software
- live video streams do not have captions
- the Twitter feed on the home page causes keyboard-only users to get stuck
Feedback and contact information
If you need information on this website in a different format like accessible PDF, large print, easy read, audio recording or braille:
- email firstname.lastname@example.org
We’ll consider your request and get back to you in [number] days.
Reporting accessibility problems with this website
We’re always looking to improve the accessibility of this website. If you find any problems not listed on this page or think we’re not meeting accessibility requirements, contact: Dr Helen Gavin, email@example.com.
The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is responsible for enforcing the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 (the ‘accessibility regulations’). If you’re not happy with how we respond to your complaint, contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS).
Technical information about this website’s accessibility
Oxford Martin Programme on Integrating Renewable Energy (Integrate) is committed to making its website accessible, in accordance with the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.
This website is partially compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1 AA standard, due to ‘the non-compliances and exemptions’ listed below.
The content listed below is non-accessible for the following reasons.
Non-compliance with the accessibility regulations
Some images do not have a text alternative, so people using a screen reader cannot access the information. This fails WCAG 2.1 success criterion 1.1.1 (non-text content). We plan to add text alternatives for all images from September 2020. When we publish new content, we’ll make sure our use of images meets accessibility standards.
Some images contain text, and do not have text descriptions. This fails This fails WCAG 2.1 success criterion 1.4.5 (images of text). When we publish new content, we will ensure any images with text will have proper text descriptions where the image is not simply for decorative purposes.
Tabbing through the home page causes a keyboard user to get stuck in the embedded Twitter feed, which fails WCAG 2.1 success criterion 2.1.2 (no keyboard trap). The feed is the final element on the page.
Some links are not descriptive, which fails WCAG 2.1 success criterion 2.4.4 (link purpose, in context). We will ensure all links in new content complies with this standard.
We have assessed the cost of improving the older content on the website and concluded that would be a disproportionate burden on the limited funds of the project.
Content that’s not within the scope of the accessibility regulations
PDFs and other documents
The accessibility regulations do not require us to fix PDFs or other documents published before 23 September 2018 if they’re not essential to providing our services. They also do not require us to provide transcripts of videos published before 23 September 2020. We will endeavour to provide transcripts for videos published in 2020, as resources allow.
Any new PDFs or Word documents we publish will meet accessibility standards.
Preparation of this accessibility statement
This statement was prepared on 07 November 2020. It was last reviewed on 06 November 2020
This website was last tested on 06 November 2020. The test was carried out by a member of staff.
The pages we sampled are:
- Home page https://www.renewableenergy.ox.ac.uk/
- People page https://www.renewableenergy.ox.ac.uk/category/people/
- Sample blog https://www.renewableenergy.ox.ac.uk/october-2020-wind-electric-vehicles-offsetting-news-bites-inertia/
- Publications listing page https://www.renewableenergy.ox.ac.uk/category/publications/
- Glossary page https://www.renewableenergy.ox.ac.uk/glossary/
- Sample video page https://www.renewableenergy.ox.ac.uk/where-to-deploy-cost-effective-solar-and-wind-farms-in-africa/
- Research page https://www.renewableenergy.ox.ac.uk/research/