Dr Helen Gavin
Programme Manager and Knowledge Exchange Researcher, Oxford Martin Programme on Integrating Renewable Energy
Oxford Martin Fellow
Dr Helen Gavin is based in the Environmental Change Institute, and the Programme Manager and Knowledge Exchange Researcher for the Oxford Martin Programme on Integrating Renewable Energy.
Helen is a sustainability professional, passionate about renewable energy and water resources. Following a PhD in wetland hydrology, Helen became a Chartered Environmental Scientist and has more than 18 years of professional experience in quantitative environmental issues that span water resources, hydroecology, greenhouse gas emissions, environmental management, and renewable energy. She has covered a range of roles including technical specialist, water and energy auditor and programme manager.
Recently, she has acted as Programme Manager for the Water Resources in the South East (WRSE) collaborative group, as a Principal Environmental Scientist for the engineering consulting firm, Atkins, as well as working alongside Professor Jim Hall at the University of Oxford, on the multi-disciplinary research programme evaluating the risk and impact of drought and water scarcity in the UK, MaRIUS.
- May 2020: Change in energy patterns, Vehicle-to-Grid, low carbon heating, fake news, and opportunities to decarbonize the economy
- We can reduce the carbon footprint of heating our homes with heat pumps…
- Latest Cooling News: how energy efficiency can negate the need for new power stations; heat sensitive urban; update from America; and how access to energy is critical and must be prioritized around the world during the coronovirus pandemic
- What is Vehicle-to-Grid?
- Do we have the institutions needed to address climate change?
- Fuel poverty in the Brazilian Amazon
- How to reduce emissions, improve livelihoods, and tackle environmental & social issues?
- Gravity-based storage using weights in mine shafts
- Improving Sierra Leone’s power system
- Talk to Sixth Formers
- Trading sunlight